International students coming to study in the United States need to obtain an F-1 Student Visa. This is the first step to be granted entrance into the country, and access to the academic institution of choice. However, the process of getting the F-1 Student Visa must be completed thoroughly, preferably with the help of trained professionals who are knowledgeable about immigrant law, the court system, and the rights of legal immigrants in the United States.

Tucker, Nong and Associates is here to help you get your F-1 student visa. Our expertise, combined with years of experience in the legal practice will help you get the best result for your case.

Who should consider a F-1 Student Visa

Below is a list of individuals who would qualify for an F-1 student visa:

  • All international individuals who enter the United States wishing to pursue academic studies at a U.S. accredited university that is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System and by the U.S. Attorney General.
  • Students who are identified with credentials and who are fully qualified to attend a U.S. college or university program.
  • Students who are under “bona fide” status, meaning that they have strong ties to their home countries and will not attempt to remain in the United States.
  • Students who are fluent in English and have evidence of financial capability to attend the program of choice.

The Application Process

The process for obtaining an F-1 student visa can be very complex and involved. It is easy to make mistakes on the application. In order to avoid careless errors, you should always consult with a qualified F-1 visa lawyer.

Form I-120

All international students applying to a U.S. University need to fill out Form I-120, where they will enter all the information about the university, the program, and housing arrangements. This form will be received by the university’s International Student Services office. Additional documentation might be needed for the university to approve the form and send it back. The maximum wait period is 10 days. Once your I-120 is approved, it will state the date in which you are allowed to report to the United States. You have a 30-day leeway where you can travel in and out of the U.S. prior to the actual reporting date.

Visa Interview

The Visa interview occurs after receiving your approved I-120 from the academic institution. There is an interview fee of $200 payable to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information Service. All interviews are scheduled with the United States Embassy or consulate.

The process of interviewing includes showing the approved I-120, your identification paperwork including passport, and evidence of financial stability prior to entering your academic program. You will be asked to talk about your academic and educational plans, how you plan to spend your time, and what are your plans once you return to your home country.

Potential Complications and the Law

The process of collecting this evidence is more complicated than it seems. Since every college and university operates autonomously, the rules change from one place to another. Some changes occur too fast to reach the general student population, and the lack of information makes it hard for some students to reunite all that is required of them. An F-1 student visa lawyer can help organize all evidence needed for the application process. Here are some things to consider:

Filing mistakes can delay processing: If there are any mistakes compiling the correct materials, the process of admittance and approval will slow down, and the student may lose valuable academic time, and money, just waiting for the paperwork to be processed properly.

Difficulty with interviews: There may also be complications scheduling interviews with the Embassy. Perhaps the student feels lost and does not know what to do, or there is enough anxiety placed upon the process, making the student unable to proceed properly or expediently.

We Can Help You Get Your F-1 Student Visa

Immigrant students will ultimately save time and money working with an immigration lawyer. All legal processes can be done at once, and all consulates work with lawyers who represent individuals who want their entrance to the United States to be safe, quick, and free from complications.

Do You Need Help In Getting Your Green Card Or Visa in Virgina, Maryland or Washington D.C.?

If you're trying to obtain a Green Card or Visa you need to speak with an experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Vienna, Virgnia office directly at 703.991.7978 or our Rockville, Maryland office at 301.637.5392 to schedule your case consultation.

Yuvora Nong
Helping VA, MD & Washington D.C. clients with all of their immigration law legal needs since 1997.