When referring to the traffic violation of “reckless driving” one is talking about situations where the driver has total disregard for road signs, laws, and signals. This is the common cause of many vehicular accidents. Extremely dangerous driving tactics and high speeds are typically involved, and it often has the result of injuring one or more people, possibly causing death.
Causes of Reckless Driving Accidents
Most reckless driving accidents are the result of the driver making one or more bad decisions while behind the wheel. These accidents can be avoided if the driver simply obeys the traffic laws and rules of the road. The following are prime examples of road rules and laws that need to be heeded.
- Do not drive close to or tailgate the car ahead of you
- Stop completely at all stop signs and red lights.
- Do not exceed the posted speed limit.
- Do not suddenly brake without warning.
- Always use turn signals before turning or changing lanes.
- Do not drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Do not drive when distracted. This includes talking or texting on the phone, eating, or tuning the radio.
- Always use the headlights when driving after dark or in the rain.
- Do not make illegal lane changes or turns.
If Charged – Get the Best Result Possible!
Reckless driving charges are more common than you think. If you have received a charge in Maryland, Virginia, or Washington D.C., visit our informational pages on:
Reckless Driving Safety Tips
Luckily there are ways in which to prevent reckless driving accidents. Drivers can keep both themselves and others out of danger while on the road by recognizing the most common causes of these accidents as well as by following some helpful safety tips.
Many of the reckless driving accidents are preventable. One needs only to drive safely and obey all traffic laws. In addition, there are some safety tips that all drivers should follow in order to ensure that they themselves, their passengers, and others sharing the road won’t become a reckless driving accident victim.
- Be sure that you and your passengers are all wearing seat belts. They can help immensely in preventing injuries in case an accident does occur.
- Take your time. By giving yourself enough time to reach your destination you avoid feeling rushed. You’ll be less likely to use a short cut, speed, or place yourself and others in danger’s path by breaking laws.
- Don’t drive while distracted. Never text, talk or eat when driving. Let the passengers handle the radio settings. Without distractions you can stay on top of what you and other drivers are doing.
Be Aware of Your Surroundings
Always be aware of your surroundings when driving. Never drive while under the influence or when tired. In order to prevent accidents you need to be able to quickly respond to any situation that may arise. If you see other drivers who appear dangerous, stay back from them. When you come across someone who is weaving, tailgating, or speeding, get out of the way by moving to lane further away.
When you come across a dangerous driver, report them by calling the local police. Let them know when you see a reckless driver operating a vehicle. If the reckless driver is in a truck, call the phone number provided on the back of the trailer. This notifies their employer of their reckless behavior.
We Are Ready To Help You!
If you follow these safety tips, you will hopefully avoid a reckless driving accident. However if you are charged, Tucker, Nong and Associates is ready to provide you an experienced traffic defense lawyer. Don’t gamble with your future, contact us online or by phone today!